Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Snap, Crackle, Ahh










I have a dog, a small dog. A small dog with a small bladder. Small dogs with small bladders equals frequent trips outside.

I hate the cold. With a passion! Small dogs with small bladders, frequent trips outside in the winter = cold exposure and an unhappy dr mimi!! Brrrr!!!

I also have a beautiful wooded reservation right across the street from my house. I rarely go into the reservation unless it is below freezing (small WHITE dog, muddy trails = dirty dog indoors. YUCK). I also avoid the reservation due to the deer ticks which always seem to hop a ride home on Cody, my little white dog with the small bladder.

So, today, I walked in the reservation with Cody since it is snow and ice covered and I knew he wouldn’t come home dirty and the ticks were wherever ticks go in the bitter cold. Not likely to be hitch hiking in teen and low twenty degree temperatures!

Even though I don’t like cold weather, there is something very refreshing about walking in the woods in the cold all bundled up as long as the wind isn’t cutting through your clothes. I noticed that the fallen leaves that carpeted the trails were covered by a crust of snow and made a most pleasant crunching noise under my boots and Cody’s paws. It sounded like crunching bags of potato chips under our feet. The woods were quiet and the sun was shining and I must say, it was a very pleasant experience. I almost forgot that it was cold outside. You just have to look for the positive where you least expect it. I am going to remember that next time I am experiencing a negative moment!

1 comment:

  1. I could hear the crisp snow while you walked. Hopefully 'reserve' means no one will ever build on the property. It's beautiful there...glad you included photos!

    ReplyDelete